Medical Assistant- Fairfax
The Medical Assistant performs day-to-day clinical and administrative support to the clinical offices delivered in a manner consistent with Virginia Heart’s mission of providing extraordinary cardiovascular care to our community. The medical assistant must exhibit a high level of customer service, communication skills, and accuracy with medical documentation.
Empathetic, Strong Communication Skills, Flexible, Reliable and Detail Oriented. Ability to multi-task and complete tasks independently and efficiently.
Clinical Office Duties
- Supports the clinical and office staff by performing clinical administrative tasks such as phone screening, appointment confirmation calls, orders management, data entry into the EMR, etc.
- Create and/or update patient demographic and clinical information in the EMR as needed.
- Responsible for taking patients from waiting room, performing vitals and preparing them for provider visits into EMR as well as updating medical history as part of intake process.
- Assists the provider’s and/or clinicians with patients in the office and is to include but not limited to the following tasks:
- Clinical Chart Preparation
- Gather appropriate documents and signatures necessary to assist the clinician in making treatment decision.
- Provides patient education and assists patients with clinical questions as needed and appropriate
- Notifies patients of test results per protocol as needed.
- Provides professional and efficient telephone services to patients and Virginia Heart staff and transfers/handles calls as appropriate.
- Provides a safe environment for patients and staff.
- Works as a resuscitative team member in emergency situations within their level of expertise and training.
- The medical assistant is responsible for knowing the location of the medical supplies and medication on the emergency cart and the proper operation of emergency equipment within their scope.
Training & Development
- The Medical Assistant orientation is two weeks. The orientation includes all the duties above.
- The Medical Assistant is expected to attend training sessions of new processes as they are implemented.
- Continuing education is not mandatory, but is encouraged and expected.
- Opportunities for continuing education are ongoing and made available to clinical staff.
Supplies & Equipment
- Reports supply needs to the office manager. Maintains and cleans equipment per manufacturer’s recommendations. Notifies office manager of equipment failures in a prompt manner.
Policies & Procedures
- Expected to read, understand, and follow the Virginia Heart Employee Handbook.
- Expected to read, understand, and follow The Clinical Policy and Procedure Manual, including updated policies when indicated applicable to the medical assistant’s position.
Professional Demeanor and Office Appearance
- Demonstrates professionalism in all interactions with patients, providers, and fellow employees to create a positive experience. Adheres to the Virginia Heart dress code policy. Exudes confidence and positive body language. Resolves issues appropriate to position. Maintains workstation and all clinical areas in a clean, tidy fashion.
Customer Service and HIPAA Compliance
- Provides exceptional customer service in accordance with corporate standards and expectations. Exhibits empathy and compassion and maintains a professional and positive attitude with customers and fellow employees.
- Respects and maintains patient privacy and dignity. Adheres to HIPAA law and is aware of one’s own environment and communication with patients at all times.
- Follows OSHA guidelines
- Reports OSHA violations/incidents to Virginia Heart OSHA Officer
- Completes annual OSHA training
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Medical Assistant Certification Preferred
- High School Diploma, or equivalent
- Previous experience working in a medical office with both administrative and clinical experience preferred
- Computer Literate
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Prior experience with the use of an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) preferred
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only job duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employee may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all federal, state, and municipal laws.
- $21-25 per hour
- Comprehensive benefits package with low premiums (Medical, dental and vision)
- Life insurance of 50K covered by Virginia Heart, with option to purchase additional
- 401K pension plan based on profit and a percentage of salary
- Paid Short Term Disability with optional long-term insurance available for purchase
- Employee assistance program for mental and physical well-being
- Up to 28 days paid time off, with accrual of 1 additional vacation day per year through year 10
- Annual merit-based increases
- Employee Appreciation Events, includes therapy dogs, raffles, other fun rewards
- Career Advancement Opportunities
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Semi-annual employee surveys
- Employee Discount Programs
- Flexible spending accounts, pretax dollars for health and dependent care
- Employee Committee Opportunities (e.g., Diversity/ Inclusion, Employee Advisory Committee)
- No nights, no weekends, no holidays and no on-calls!
- Set shifts and schedules