Licensed Practical Nurse
Location: Reston, VA
Status: Full-Time / Non-Exempt
- No Evenings
- No Nights
- No Weekends
- No Major Holidays
Virginia Heart is Northern Virginia's premier cardiovascular practice, bringing an unparalleled standard of excellence to our patients. We are seeking experienced professionals to join our team in our outpatient cardiology setting. Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Virginia Heart learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
We offer great benefits!
- Comprehensive benefits package with low premiums (Medical, dental and vision)
- Life insurance of 50K covered by Virginia Heart, with option to purchase additional
- 401K pension plan based on profit and a percentage of salary
- Paid Short Term Disability with optional long-term insurance available for purchase
- Employee assistance program for mental and physical well-being
- Up to 28 days paid time off, with accrual of 1 additional vacation day per year through year 10
- Annual merit-based increases
- Employee Appreciation Events, includes therapy dogs, raffles, other fun rewards
- Career Advancement Opportunities
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Semi-annual employee surveys
- Employee Discount Programs
- Flexible spending accounts, pretax dollars for health and dependent care
- Employee Committee Opportunities (e.g., Diversity/ Inclusion, Employee Advisory Committee)
- No nights, no weekends, no holidays and no on-calls!
- Set shifts and schedules
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) provides clinical support for the providers in a manner consistent with Virginia Heart’s mission of excellence in cardiovascular care. The LPN is responsible for direct patient care utilizing the nursing process under the direction and supervision of a provider. The LPN will assist the registered nurse and clinical team to provide quality and efficient clinical service. The LPN is responsible for maintaining the clinical flow of the office in coordination with other team members in a professional, courteous, and safe manner. May be required to cover other offices on occasion.
- Assists the provider with patients in the office to include but not limited to the following tasks:
- Clinical chart abstraction and chart preparation
- Obtains the chief complaint or reason for the visit
- Obtains vital signs accurately and efficiently to include manual blood pressure, pulse rate, height, and weight.
- Performs an ECG when instructed or per protocol (i.e., S/S, >6 months, HR > 100 or < 50 bpm, drug therapy evaluation, pre-op, baseline, etc.)
- Reviews current medication list and allergies, updates as needed
- Updates past medical history, family, and social history
- Updates review of systems per protocol
- Provides nursing care, when indicated, according to established protocols under the direction and supervision of the RN.
- Assists with registration and placement of ambulatory cardiac rhythm and blood pressure monitors (at certain locations) to include uploading
- reviewing the results upon the monitor being returned. Escalates any urgent criteria to the ordering provider or DOD per protocol.
- Upon successful completion of the anticoagulation therapy competency exam and the discretion of the individual physician and the clinical specialist, the LPN performs anti-coagulation therapy management under the supervision of an RN.
- Upon successful completion of the pharmacology competency exam, authorizes prescription refills under direct supervision of the physician.
- Performs telephone and in-office triage under the direct supervision of an MD, APP or RN.
- Enters data in the EMR to include by not limited to, scanning outside lab results to their order and entering the values discretely into EPIC as well as scanning outside radiology reports to the order in EPIC and messaging the provider to review.
- Notifies patients via phone or my chart message of test results per the protocol and upon provider request or in-basket message.
- Answers the clinical and office backlines and assists callers within the LPN scope. If the call is beyond the LPN’s scope it should be escalated to the appropriate staff member.
- Provides patient education within the LPN’s scope.
- Witnesses consent and enters orders per policy and submits hospital scheduling sheets to the hospital scheduling department when outpatient procedures are ordered by the provider.
- Assist others within the department to ensure all clinical tasks are caught up and closed out at the end of each day.
- Completes administrative tasks as assigned or within their scope, to include but not limited to, orders management, patient form requests, medication PA follow-up, and message management (i.e., faxes, pool messages, etc.)
- Works as a resuscitative team member in emergency situations, including administration of IV medications within the LPN’s experience and scope.
- As assigned, routinely checks the emergency cart and equipment per protocol. The LPN is responsible for knowing the location of all emergency medical supplies and medication on the emergency cart and the proper operation of emergency equipment.
- Upon successful completion of the Stress Test Training and Exam, with the discretion of the individual physician and the clinical specialist, performs Stress Testing under the direct supervision of a physician, including nuclear testing. Stress testing is a basic, required job function of the licensed nurse.
- Successful completion of an accredited LPN program
- Current Virginia State LPN License in good standing
- At least one year of clinical experience in a healthcare setting preferred.
- Cardiology experience preferred.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) required; Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) preferred.
- Computer Literate
- Prior experience with the use of an Electronic Medical Record (EMR), EPIC preferred. The LPN must successfully pass stress test training (including the basic ECG exam) and the stress test exam to perform stress tests.
- The LPN must successfully pass the pharmacological exam to authorize prescription refills.
- The LPN must successfully pass the anticoagulation therapy exam prior to managing anticoagulation therapy under the supervision of an RN.
- Strong patient education skills
(Click link to view other available openings and locations for our company: https://virginiaheart.hiringplatform.com/list/careers)